Friday, January 07, 2011

Perspective

I love this program and I love having a sponsor because they help keep things in perspective. When something happens and I feel bad about it, I can talk it out with her or a program friend, read a piece of literature, or just say the serenity prayer and I feel better.

I'm still learning not to beat myself up about simple mistakes. I'm learning to take responsibility, make my amends, and move on. And I'm recognizing that some people will always trigger certain things in me. However, now I know I can choose to respond to the triggers differently. I don't have to listen to my gut reaction, because it often causes me to act or speak in a way I later regret. I'm also learning to clear away people and relationships that trigger me into people-pleasing behaviors. I know that I can't cut out every single person that triggers me because even my closest and dearest friends and most especially my family members will bring out some of my most annoying character defects. But I can learn to stop placing emphasis and importance on people and situations I expect to provide me with positive feedback.

Anyway, I wanted to send this out to the void because it was a helpful situation to experience today.

No comments: