Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Post-Election Rememories

I am not a political person. I enjoy the law and find the criminal justice system fascinating. But I hate politics - at least the part of politics that involves backroom deals, selfish egotism, and a complete disregard for what I feel are really important issues (education, health care, poverty, etc).

All that being said, last Tuesday's election of the next president of the United States was pretty unbelievable. I have never been more excited about the democratic process. There was such electricity in the air - the energy was palpable and the excitement was overwhelming. I stood in line for 45 minutes waiting for my turn to vote IN PERSON for the first time ever. You could tell the brief thought of "Why am I standing here waiting in line at 6:45 on a Tuesday morning?" cross most people's minds. But this year, there was an overwhelming sense that each individual's vote was important and each of us COULD and DID make the difference. Barack Obama didn't win by a large number of popular votes, but he won a landslide of electoral votes. The momentum he carried in the younger generation, minority populations, and the other voters who were sick and tired of a stuck-in-the-mud leader who has dug a huge hole that America must now try to get out of.

I'm not 100% for all of Obama's policies. I am Catholic and therefore pro-life, and his views on life issues are not particularly pleasing to me. But in terms of the economy, education, health care, foreign policy, energy - issues that need immediate attention that focuses on long-term solutions - Obama is the one with innovativeness, fresh perspective, creativity, and compassion. He gets it, and I think he will be the one to help give America its dignity, respect, and power back.

All I can say is I've never witnessed anything quite so powerful, inspiring, or moving as last Tuesday night's election results, especially McCain's concession speech and Obama's acceptance speech. For young people like myself and for the many thousands of people who have been oppressed in this country - it was an incredible sign of hope and a true movement towards unity and change.

I really hope the next four years are better than the past eight.

No comments: