Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day Done!

I was reminded again today of something I saw and learned last week at Orientation. I am a much different person than I was in high school, college, or in any previous NEW situations. This is the first time entering a new "community" since coming into Al-Anon, and I can feel the difference. I got to show up so differently. I wasn't afraid of putting myself out there, introducing myself, initiating conversations and collaborations. I recognize and know the names of almost everyone in my art therapy class. I don't say that to brag, but to acknowledge to myself the importance of relationship-building to me. I am the same way at Starbucks. I know the names of probably 50 or more regulars... I have made it a point to make connections and build those connections into relationships. I intend to do the same at school!

I am however very very rusty in the academic sense. My brain hurts from having to think intellectually today! It will take a couple weeks to get back into the swing of reading and critical thinking. Luckily I don't have class this coming Monday for Labor Day, so I have an extra day to do some reading and start some research. CRAZY!

For now I have to get back into work mode... tomorrow's a Starbucks day. Totally weird to bounce back and forth between school-mode and Starbucks-mode. I'll get into that rhythm too! Good night all.

-Briana

No comments: