Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Uncertainty versus what?

I've been struggling recently with the idea of uncertainty and detachment, and learning how to be comfortable in the unknown without becoming paralyzed. Maybe that's not fair - I don't know that I've been "struggling" with it per se. It has been my old way of thinking and behaving to HAVE to act and HAVE to say something, even if I'm not sure what to say, what to do, or how to react or respond to a situation. Oftentimes, my need to act ends up making a situation more complicated and more intense than I want it to be or intended it to be. I recognize the need to be upfront and honest, and to communicate boundaries and expectations. I know those are important qualities to any relationship, friendship, and situation. However, there is a difference between communicating and overcommunicating, and sometimes overcommunication is NOT helpful (though in others, like my living situation with my roommate, it is VERY helpful for preventing resentments and enjoying each other). There is also a difference between being detached and lighthearted and present to today, and hiding feelings or shutting down or isolating. There's a fine line between keeping something to yourself for healthy detachment reasons and keeping something to yourself because you're afraid of what the consequences will be if you share.

I am probably being overly analytical about this particular situation, and I recognize this. I'm working on turning it over to God, and just not worrying about the outcomes. I am doing the best I can today, and if I make a mistake (over-communicate, make a situation more complicated than it needs to be, obsess/spin), at least I'll be aware of it faster and be able to let it go easier. I know I'm changing, I know I'm learning to be less serious and less intense. Every relationship, every friendship, every situation is going to help me continue becoming the person I want to be, even if I don't show up in the lighthearted, simple, detached, fun-loving way I want every time. I'll get there; progress, not perfection :)

No comments: